Monday, October 3, 2011

I Spy Fly Guy

I Spy Fly Guy
Written and Illustrated by Tedd Arnold

Title: I Spy Fly Guy
Tedd Arnold


Author: Tedd Arnold was born in Elmira, New York. Tedd's family moved to Pennsylvania and then back to Elmira. When he was 10 years old Tedd's family moved to Gainesville, Florida. He attended college at the University of Florida where he earned his fine arts degree. Tedd married a kindergarten teacher named Carol. When Tedd was working as a commercial artist, Carol turned him onto children's books. Tedd's children are stars in a few of his books. He now lives back in Elmira with his wife and children. Tedd has written and illustrated over 50 children's books. http://www.teddarnoldbooks.com/

Genre: Fiction

Grade Level: Beginning Readers

Fly Guy
Synopsis: I Spy Fly Guy is a 2010 Theodore Seuss Geisel Honor Book. The book follows a young boy named Buzz and his best friend Fly Guy. Buzz and Fly Guys love to play Hide-and-Seek. One day while Fly Guy is hiding in the garbage can (his favorite hiding place) the garbage collector comes dumps the garbage can into his truck and takes it to the city dump. Buzz is very upset and goes to the dump to look for Fly Guy. There are many flies at the dump and Buzz cannot locate Fly Guy until he remembers that they are still in the middle of a Hide-and-Seek game. Once he remembers this, he finds Fly Guy hiding! This is the eight book in the ten book Fly Guy series. http://www.teddarnoldbooks.com/ispyflyguy.html

Theme: The main theme in this book is friendship.

Pre-reading Activity: Do a picture walk of chapters 1 and 2. Exclude chapter 3 as the pictures may give away the ending. Have the students write down their predictions of what they think will happen in chapter 3.

Post-reading Activity: After the story is read, have the students revisit their predictions. Have them write under their previous predictions what really happened in chapter 3. Have them turn to a partner and discuss their findings.

Assessment: The students will be assessed on their observations and their ability to summarize the events in chapter 3.

Personal Reflection: I Spy Fly Guy is a great book for beginning readers. I have not yet read the other Fly Guy books, but I intend to very soon. Buzz and Fly Guy have a special friendship that many students may be able to relate to. I do see myself using this book in a classroom as part of an author or even a character study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment